News & Opportunities
New Arts Council publication, 'The Economic Impact of Museums in England'
Museums have a major impact to local and national economies. With continued support from Local Authorities, DCMS and other public and private funders, museums can play an ever more important role in our economy and communities. This report examines the economic impact of museums to England, and it finds that the museums sector:
- generates £2.64 billion in income
- contributes £1.45 billion in economic output to the national economy
- employs a minimum of 38,165 people
- is made up of approximately 2,635 organisations running 2,720 sites across England
- is estimated to generate £3 of income (including earned income, income from investments, grants from charities and foundations, and donations etc.) for each £1 of public sector grant